A new UN report exposes a bit of
misinformation peddled by the US and Israel and shatters the Zionist
illusion that the Gaza war was legal.
report, prepared by human rights investigator Richard Falk, confirms
that Tel Aviv was indeed the party that violated the Egyptian-brokered
six-month truce in Gaza.
Israel and the democratically elected Palestinian government confined to the
Gaza Strip agreed in mid June 2008 to a six-month truce.
While reports indicated that Tel Aviv had initially broken the truce with
its tanks and bulldozers crossing the southern border of the Gaza Strip on
November 4 and 5, echelons in the United States and Israel insisted
A widespread campaign in support of the alleged Israeli right to enter the
Palestinian territory was then launched by US and Israeli media outlets.
"Records show that, during the ceasefire, it was
predominantly Israel that resorted to conduct inconsistent with the
undertaking, and Hamas that retaliated," Falk responded in a report
presented Monday at the Geneva-based UN Human Rights Council.
The report outlined the incidents leading up to the three-week Israeli
offensive on the tiny coastal strip. The carnage caused by the Israeli
operations killed nearly 1,350 Palestinians and wounded around 5,450 others
-- most of them civilians.
"On 4 November … Israel killed a Palestinian in Gaza,
mortars were fired from Gaza in retaliation, and then an Israeli air strike
was launched that killed an additional six Palestinians in Gaza,"
Falk said, adding that the "the breakdown of the
ceasefire seems to have been mainly a result of Israeli violations."
Falk, who based his findings on Israeli sources, said the number of
Palestinian rockets and mortar shells fired into Israel after the ceasefire
came into effect in June had considerably declined.
"The ceasefire was remarkably effective; after it
began in June 2008, the rate of rocket and mortar fire from Gaza dropped to
almost zero, and stayed there for almost four months," the report
The report went on to conclude that "the experience of
the temporary ceasefire demonstrates both the willingness and the capacity
of those exerting control in Gaza to eliminate rocket and mortar attacks."
Since Israel denied Falk entry into Gaza during the war, his report focused
on the legality of the military operations and whether Israel even had a
right to enter the Palestinian sliver in the first place.
Tel Aviv in late December had claimed that it launched Operation Cast Lead
on the territory of 1.5 million Palestinians in "retaliation for Palestine
rocket attacks on Israel".
The UN report confirms that Tel Aviv began the bloodshed by breaking the
truce and is thus unable to use claims of self-defense.
In addition to the lost lives, the onslaught
cost the Palestinian economy at least $1.6 billion, destroying some 4,000
residential buildings and damaging 16,000 other houses.
Israel's staunch ally, the United States, on Monday commented on the report,
which calls for an investigation into Israel's war crimes in Gaza, as
The US has so far vetoed at least 45 anti-Israel resolutions at the UN and
has blocked official condemnation of crimes committed against the native
At the height of the war on Gaza, the US abstained from voting on the
resolution which called for an 'immediate and durable' ceasefire and the
withdrawal of Israeli troops from the region.